Foundation Scholarship Program
Updated Wednesday February 17, 2016 by Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association .
To provide financial assistance to boys and girls graduating from high school who intend on furthering their education in college or university and intend on pursuing excellence in playing, gym supervision, refereeing or coaching basketball.
Criteria for selection
- One award will be provided to a male student and the other to a female student (two awards).
- The student must have played, refereed, convened or coached basketball in the WMBA either in community club or Rising Stars league continuously for a minimum of five years.
- The student intends on pursuing further academic education either in college or university immediately after completing high school. Evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary educational institution will be required for funds to be released.
- The student has demonstrated extraordinary commitment to basketball in one of the areas previously identified.
- The student has been an ambassador for the WMBA and has promoted the league in the community.
Amount of the Award
- Up to $500 each for a male and female student.
Procedure for selection
- All high schools and community clubs will be advised of the award.
- Interested students must complete the scholarship application form and outline their experience with the league and addressing all of the criteria for selection.
- The Foundation Board will review all applications and select a male and female award winner. The individuals selected will be forwarded on to the WMBA Board of Directors as information.
- Board members of the WMBA will be invited to present the award at the High School convocation day of the recipient.
- The WMBA will undertake to advertise the award winners on its website and in the media.
To apply for one of these awards, please complete the May 30th of the current year.
2004 - Darin Arnold & Krista Mitchell
2005 - James McGill
2006 - Laura Anderson & Jordan Hutsal
2007 - Alexa Amos & Trevor Grafton
2008 - Megan Labrie & Robert Jeffery
2009 - Natalia Kleban & Spencer Harrison
2010 - Hailey Kell & Robin Quintana
2011 - T. Lucerno & M. Collier
2012 - Kerri Kuzbyt & Taylor Brown
2013 - Alyssa Bauer & Alex Wolowiec
2014 - Julia Schroeder & Jordan Neufeld
2015 - Rhianna Nelson & Harkamal Dhillon